Getting things done as an artist means:
- Making art
- Being your own HR department
- Paying your taxes
- Keeping accounts. See point 3.
- Packing work
- Sussing out courier companies. See point 5.
- Plotting best routes to London/wherever via Split-Tickety/Megabus/National Express
- Keeping on top of opportunites
- Writing applications for opportunities. Obviously.
- Making pack lunches
- Going to Private Views
- Reading other people’s books about art
- Going to events related to art
- Finding video installations to eat sandwiches in unnoticed.
All of this his means point number 1, the most important bit, gets less and less time devoted to it as you go on.
Getting help has been incredible and means more time to make art. At the moment Maddy is helping me plan how I should best get to Galatina in the south of Italy, this December, for a residency that I am doing there. It’s a long old way and I want to do it by train because – well…climate change. Maddy is fluent in Italian and Spanish, and has been able to point out all the good stuff en-route there and back.